DoddPower
6 years ago

What gets me is how Belicheck changes to the players he has. Its not like the Pats have just been dump it off offenses all the time. They have done it with TE, they have done it with Welker on crossing routes, they have done it with Moss and deep routes, running backs. It doesn't seem to matter. Gronk gets hurt no problem, just switch to other receivers. Hell he is 14-6 without Brady starting.

McCarthy even comes out and says, they do no switch the offense when players get hurt, they just keep calling the same plays and expect the next man up to perform. We have seen in when Finley went down, it took almost 1/2 a season to realize that he couldn't just keep running the same gameplan with Quarless. Same when Jordy went out.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Yeah, I think that's a backwards philosophy, but it probably requires less creativity by the coaching staff, which makes things easier for less naturally talented coaches. In my mind, teams must take whatever is given to them and build around that. It all starts with drafting the best NFL talent in the draft, filling a few holes in free agency, and then designing schemes and game plans around that available talent. Trying to force square pegs into round holes will never really work well, at least without a once in a generation talent at QB.

The Packers defense simply can't figure things out. Constantly drafting tweeners and moving them around everywhere. That's fine if it's working, but it obviously hasn't been for the Packers. The drafting successes nor the coaching or scheme has been there the past several years.
Smokey
6 years ago
One point that I don't believe has been mentioned in this discussion is that Bill Belicheck is NE's Head Coach and the General Manager , while Mike McCarthy is just the Head Coach and Ted Thompson is the Packer's GM . Belicheck is in full control and McCarthy must work with what Ted Thompson provides him . Also , Belicheck is a stronger Defensive coach than McCarthy is .

That said , IMO , GB and NE are strong favorites to meet in the next Super Bowl. The Media will Shout ,
"Rodgers vs Brady" , but the team with the best defense will come out on top. NE always fields a good defense and as for GB's 2017 defense , we shall see . [confused]

Aaron Rodgers will play until he say he has had enough and I'm not able to see into the future to say when that will be .

UserPostedImage
Barfarn
6 years ago

What gets me is how Belicheck changes to the players he has. Its not like the Pats have just been dump it off offenses all the time. They have done it with TE, they have done it with Welker on crossing routes, they have done it with Moss and deep routes, running backs. It doesn't seem to matter. Gronk gets hurt no problem, just switch to other receivers. Hell he is 14-6 without Brady starting.

McCarthy even comes out and says, they do no switch the offense when players get hurt, they just keep calling the same plays and expect the next man up to perform. We have seen in when Finley went down, it took almost 1/2 a season to realize that he couldn't just keep running the same gameplan with Quarless. Same when Jordy went out.

So Mike McCarthy refuses to change the offense and Belichek reworks his offense whenever an important player gets hurt? Sorry, you can also say you saw BigFoot; but I’d demand the proof. Maybe a few plays were dumbed down; but Belicheck ain’t changing his offense. Think about it, an offense is installed for several months, then a guy gets hurt and the other 52 guys have to adjust to a new offense, another gets hurt, it changes again. This is just ridiculous. Sound like pure Fox News bullshit.

Knowing Brady is suspended for 4 games is exponentially different than Rodgers getting hurt w/o warning. Much of camp was devoted to getting Garappola and his back-up ready. In 2010, Rodgers went down v. Detroit Flynn looked like crap in relief; the following week he got all the reps and looked all pro v. Belichek’s defense. In Game # 16 2011, they knew Rodgers would sit, Flynn got all the work and set records.

In 2012 or 3, Rodgers goes down in Chicago leaving 2 QBs to play [one vet, one youngster] that didn’t go thru TC. Wallace sucked in Chicago; but after a week taking all the reps, he started out 5 for 5 v. Philly and got hurt. Tolzein was uneven v. Philly; but against NYG the next week after getting all he reps snaps he looked great 24-34-339. He had trouble in redzone and he did throw 3 INTs, one a great read and throw to an open Jones on play action, except he needed to get it 6” higher as ILB [Beason] got a great drop and timed his leap perfectly. Then a pass to JPP because Bahktieri couldn't cut him [so he shouldn’t have thrown it] and one stupid throw. But, what a game for guy that didn't go thru TC in his 1st start, in his 1st season on roster after one on SF's P-squad. Then Flynn, who just rejoined the team went 2-2 v. Stafford, Romo Ryan and Rothlesberger w/ and 86.1 PR after being on the team only 2 weeks.

Brady missed starts once due to injury [week 1 in 2008]. Cassell, who took over was drafted 4 years before by NE, went thru 4 straight camps and in his first 4 starts was 2-2 with a 72.5 passer rating and beat Favre [Jets], JT O’ Sullivan and lost to Pennington and Rivers. He then played much better finishing year 11-5. Belicheck didn’t adjust the O to Cassell; Cassell learned to play better in it.

I am sick and tired of the pure 100% bullshit that Rodgers needs a defense; Rodgers needs more weapons and Rodgers is great. If Rodgers needs that much help he's simply not an elite player.

Also consider, when Brady's WRs run a wrong route there is no talk about trust...Ya dont hear WRs say, "I need Tom's trust." It is because when a player effs up Brady says, "ya, i do it too sometimes and I might be close to perfect but that's why I get the big bucks, I cant expect that from younger lesser paid players."

On the other hand, Rodgers often goes on a little bitching hissy fit doing the unthinkable and publicly slamming his mates in the press, when anyone dares "violate his trust."

This proven difference in their demeanors evidences that it is likely that when Brady faces adversity, like losing an OLman or receiver, he just let's it roll of his back. Whereas Rodgers goes into a mental hissy fit, "I trusted that guy, he's gone, Mike McCarthy and Ted dont give me what I need, I cant throw to that new guy he ran a wrong route once, I cant throw when that OLman is out, I cant take this...I'm so great, can't everyone see I'm so great and tell my family to go fuck off, I'm hollywood, guess I gotta blow off the designed offense and run around and make the big play, I gotta do it myself, plus I like watching my highlights, I love my stats."
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
Amazing how somebody can post so many words and say so little of value.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Cheesey
6 years ago
Some people think that if they say a lot of words, that means it's a valid post.😝
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
6 years ago

Amazing how somebody can post so many words and say so little of value.

I certainly rarely read most of those overly verbose posts. If one can't say what they need to say concisely, they simply aren't effective communicators.
Porforis
6 years ago

I am sick and tired of the pure 100% bullshit that Rodgers needs a defense; Rodgers needs more weapons and Rodgers is great. If Rodgers needs that much help he's simply not an elite player.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Anybody that's not so delusional to think the Packers are so ungodly talented that anything short of winning the Super Bowl every year is a complete waste of talent would probably argue that Rodgers getting the Packers to the postseason basically every year as well as being #4 career win/loss percentage out of active QBs with at least 20 games would argue Rodgers is getting it done for the most part. Nobody's claiming he's the best ever (well, at least since his meh season and a half).

Also you can't blame Rodgers for everything under the sun and making excuses for everyone else, then turn around and complain about people giving Rodgers credit for everything under the sun and blaming everyone else for the team's problems. You're doing the same damnned thing you're complaining about. I also find it interesting that you seem to think Rodgers is a self-centered little whiner, and yet you seem to place a TON of emphasis on the QB position in both GB and NE's cases at the expense of the rest of the team - I don't get it, is the QB the center of the universe or not?
Smokey
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Unlike Tennis or Golf , Football is a TEAM Sport . Defense and Special Teams are an important part of any football team . GB is blessed with it's second HOF QB in a row. An extremely rare occurrence and naturally we the fans want the Packers to take full advantage of it with more Lombardi Trophy's .
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
6 years ago

Anybody that's not so delusional to think the Packers are so ungodly talented that anything short of winning the Super Bowl every year is a complete waste of talent would probably argue that Rodgers getting the Packers to the postseason basically every year as well as being #4 career win/loss percentage out of active QBs with at least 20 games would argue Rodgers is getting it done for the most part. Nobody's claiming he's the best ever (well, at least since his meh season and a half).

Also you can't blame Rodgers for everything under the sun and making excuses for everyone else, then turn around and complain about people giving Rodgers credit for everything under the sun and blaming everyone else for the team's problems. You're doing the same damnned thing you're complaining about. I also find it interesting that you seem to think Rodgers is a self-centered little whiner, and yet you seem to place a TON of emphasis on the QB position in both GB and NE's cases at the expense of the rest of the team - I don't get it, is the QB the center of the universe or not?

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Rodgers affects every offensive play, which affects the # of plays the D has to be on the field, which affects them. So, to use your term, I think that means the QB is the center of the universe.

But, your assertion that its then contradictory to then believe Rodgers is not entitled to be an egocentric twat is a very strange argument 😂?

You gotta lose your need for blame. You cant reduce my argument to monosyllabic misrepresented sound-bites; it is way too COMPLICATED for that. Learn from Smokey: football is the ULTIMATE TEAM game. The thread is about how long Rodgers can keep playing at his current level. Rodgers' performance will determine this and he'll be graded on how he plays his role. Not by how many wins, not by stats and not by how Adams or Randall plays. You say he's been “meh;” which I guess means [as you stated earlier] that Rodgers chucks it downfield instead of making the first down once every other game, so it’s the exception, not the rule. This just not accurate. In last 2 years; he's played disgustingly HORRIBLY at times; very good at others, great occasionally. In crunch time he never plays great, occasionally plays well and often plays poor or outright chokes.

See Porforis, each TEAMMATE has a role. Teams are harmed when one asshole publically throwing his mates under the bus; one asshole intentionally not playing HIS ROLE on the field [Which is often affected by what is done in practice, personal relationships between players and offseason work]. And THIS will determine whether Rodgers will keep playing ’til 35, 40 or 45.

Never said Rodgers was responsible for “everything” and you know it. But, in a TEAM game responsibility is never equally shared. There’s 53 guys and 160M to spend, that’s 3M per. Rodgers is making the wage of more than 7 men; for him to be worth keeping [this is what the thread is about] he has to pull the weight of 7+ men. The last 2 years, he has not. And we all know Rodgers over the last 2 years has not been able to conceal or compensate for his destructive and sociopathic traits. His ability to cope with his mental demons, especially at crunch time, is the key to his continuing to play as long as and like Brady.
Cheesey
6 years ago
On what team is the quarterback NOT the highest paid guy on the team?
To say Rodgers is not "elite" because he can't win games on his own, is a (sorry for stating it so straight forward) is STUPID.
Tom Brady doesn't win games on his own. He also needs a strong defense. As does EVERY team in the NFL if they want to win a Super Bowl.
If you have the ball ten times in a game, and score seven of those times, and the other team also has it ten times and scores nine of those times because you have a bad defense, is that your quarterback's fault???
When the Packers won SB 31, was it just because Favre was pretty good, or was it also because we had a killer defense? Same with the 2010 SB win. We had a decent defense that could keep us in a game, even if the offense wasn't perfect.
Only ONE team wins it all each year. And the one that does win it all, most likely had at LEAST a middle of the pack defense, not a lousy one.
You can stumble through a season, winning enough to make the playoffs. But come playoff time, if you don't have a good defense (as we saw the last several seasons) you won't get to a super bowl.

Again, look at the Dallas playoff game. Our offense was KILLER that game, yet we almost lost it because of a bad defense. We SHOULD have "coasted" to a win, not having to be a nail biter that was won on Rodger's heroic play at the end, and Crosby's clutch kick.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10h) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (10h) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (11h) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (11h) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (11h) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.